Regardless of where you live, work, socialize, etc. yoga teaches us to how to discover happiness and contentment everywhere. Yoga teaches us to find the calm in the uncomfortable.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Snowed In

With yoga mat and yogitoe in hand, she is determined.


Post Christmas day chaos, I am ready for my favorite Sunday morning yoga class. I surprisingly find little trouble getting out of bed this morning (a feeling that is reminiscent of childlike excitement on Christmas morning) because one of my favorite instructors, Mariann, is teaching her kick-butt hot vinyasa flow. She has been gone the past holiday week (so her arrival has been much anticipated).I wake up throw on my favorite Margarita yoga pants and pair them with a mint green Lululemon tank. Just as I am grabbing my tie-dyed Yogitoes and step out the door, I am confronted with mounds of freshly fallen snow and with my Mom--shovel in hand--attempting to alleviate the plethora of snow. 

My car is basically buried and when I open the door a huge, icy clump falls on to my seat, but my determination prevails! After frantically scraping off the windows, I throw my car into reverse. Despite the (deceiving) fluff-like quality of snow, it still has me trapped. Frustration washes over my thoughts as I think about all of the precious sleep, er I mean, time I have lost over a situation that was clearly a lost-cause from the beginning. Even more-so, disappointment sinks in when I come to terms that I will not be able to go to Mariann's class this morning. 

What I deem as the "frustrated to disappointed cycle," (being the worldly psychologist that I am) plagues all of us; yet it is the way we decide to handle these frustrating/disappointing situations that can determine whether we have a positive or negative outcome--clearly a simple concept, right? But when faced with not getting what we want these trying experiences, we are so easily coaxed in to getting upset over simple matters. I just love the irony of me becoming all huffy and puffy because I could not go to a yoga class. So now I see this morning's burden as my blessing in disguise, for it inadvertently reminded me of my favorite yogic moral--to find the calm in an uncomfortable situation--sans the mat and instructor!

No comments: